Looking for a quick and easy dinner option? These Grilled Chicken Thighs are perfectly seasoned and juicy, and come together in just 30-minutes! They require no marinade or brine to make, making them the perfect choice for a weeknight meal or impromptu barbecue. Topped with a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh herbs, they're sure to be a repeat on our menu all summer.
⭐️ Why We Love These Grilled Chicken Thighs
Chicken thighs are one of our favorite cuts of meat to grill because of how juicy and flavorful they are, without much effort needed.
These are perfect as a main course, meal prep, or sliced up and served in a salad, sandwich, or alongside these grilled vegetables.
The best part? They're so easy to make that you'll have dinner on the table in no time!
This post may contain affiliate links; this means if you purchase an item linked, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to learn more about my disclosure policy.
Here are all of the ingredients you will need to make these grilled chicken thighs:
- Olive oil
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Oregano (can be dried or fresh)
- Rosemary (can be dried or fresh)
- Brown sugar
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs (you could also use skin on boneless chicken thighs if you like the skin!)
- Optional toppings: lemon juice, fresh herbs
See recipe card for quantities.
👩🍳 Step by Step Instructions
Prep the chicken & prep the grill. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and add to a large bowl. Grease the grill and heat to medium high heat.
Make the spice mix. Combine all of the spices, brown sugar, oil, and herbs in a small bowl or jar and mix to combine evenly.
Reminder: Make sure to grease your grill before adding the chicken, to prevent the thighs from sticking.
Season the chicken. Add the olive oil and spice mix to the bowl with the chicken and mix to coat every chicken thigh evenly with the seasoning.
Grill. Grill the chicken on each side for 5-8 minutes, or until the chicken develops grill marks and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Serve. Top the chicken with a squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle of fresh herbs (optional). Serve with rice, salad, and/or grilled veggies. Enjoy!
What to Eat With Them
These chicken thighs go well with just about anything.
Here are some of my favorite sides, salads, & breads to enjoy with them:
There are many fun variations you can try with this recipe as a base. Here are a few ideas:
- Spicy: Add some heat to your spice mix with a half teaspoon (or whole teaspoon if you like things extra spicy) of cayenne pepper or add some of your favorite hot sauce to the bowl with the spices and oil.
- Sweet: This recipe calls for brown sugar, but you could also add sweetness in the form of maple syrup or honey. These grilled chicken thighs are also really flavorful served with fruit, like grilled pineapple, a mango salsa, or classic fruit salad.
- Basted: Another fun way to amp up the flavor in this recipe is to baste your chicken while it's grilling with your favorite sauce. I like using BBQ sauce when I don't have time to make my own, or you could make a simple sauce with lemon juice, melted butter and fresh herbs. Brush the sauce over the chicken thighs as they grill.
These are just 3 of hundreds of variations you could create for this recipe. Feel free to experiment with your favorite flavors and ingredients to create your own unique recipe!
Also check out my Puerto Rican grilled chicken skewers, aka Pinchos de Pollo, for a grilled & skewered chicken thigh recipe.
🍴 Grilling Tools
It's also helpful to have a large bowl to mix the chicken with the seasonings, as well as a pair of stainless steel tongs to use on the grill. I like having two tongs, one for the raw chicken, and one clean pair to use to remove the chicken from the grill.
Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can freeze them for up to 4 months.
Reheat leftovers in the oven or microwave until they reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Keep in mind that reheated chicken thighs will not be as juicy as they were directly off the grill.
One Last Reminder
One last reminder so that you don't forget to grease your grill before adding the chicken!
This step is super important in preventing them from sticking, achieving those beautiful grill marks, and getting an evenly cooked end result.
You can also close your grill to help the chicken cook faster.