Classic Moroccan Tomato Side Salad
Today we’re making a classic Moroccan tomato side salad that’s loaded with juicy tomatoes, fresh herbs, and traditional Moroccan spices. It comes together in just 10 minutes and makes a fabulous side salad to enjoy with tagines, soups, and couscous!
This post contains affiliate links; this means if you purchase an item linked, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to learn more about my disclosure policy.
Morocco’s most popular side salad
If you enjoy Moroccan salads, this is the perfect one to share with friends and family!
If you’ve ever been lucky enough to visit the country, chances are, you’ve had this salad, alongside an assortment of other vegetable based dishes like this stewed lentil salad and mashed eggplant salad.
Traditionally, it’s served as a side salad to just about any meal. In my grandmother’s apartment in Rabat, you can find this salad next to three or four others presented in small bowls around the table.
Paired with loafs of freshly cooked bread, it’s good enough to be a meal on it’s own.
This classic Moroccan tomato salad is the perfect introduction to Moroccan cooking as it requires little more than some quick chopping and comes together in less than 15 minutes.
- tomatoes, diced or cherry tomatoes, halved
- red onion, minced finely
- parsley, minced
- cilantro, minced
- olive oil
How to make it
More authentic Moroccan recipes
As mentioned above this Moroccan tomato salad is traditionally served with several other side salads. Here are some other classic Moroccan salads to try:
When to use your tomato salad
- on top of omelettes
- pita bread or really any kind of bread
- as a side salad, especially to this Moroccan chicken with olives
- 4 tomatoes, diced or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup red onion, minced finely
- 2 tbsp parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- Prep the veggies. Dice or halve the tomatoes, mince the onion, parsley, and cilantro.
- Combine ingredients. In a small bowl combine all ingredients and mix well. Taste to see if you want to add any additional salt, pepper or cumin. Enjoy!