This gluten free berry crisp loaded with oats, raspberries, blueberries, and marionberries is the best way to celebrate the end of summer produce.
This post contains affiliate links; this means if you purchase an item linked, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to learn more about my disclosure policy.
A Last Minute Recipe
When your dad sends you home from a weekend visit with four baskets of overripe berries, you make a crumble.
And when you’re husband and close friends try and demand you write a recipe for said crumble, you do it.
This recipe was one of those that wasn’t on my blog schedule, wasn’t on my radar for the next year of content, and yet, it was so good, it had to happen!
So here I am, writing a last minute blog post, for the best last minute gluten free berry crumble I’ve ever made.
Crumbles, Crisps, and Cobblers
If you’ve ever made a crumble, crisp, or cobbler, you know the concept is pretty simple.
You start with some delicious fruit (today we’re using a blend of berries). The next step is where things start to clarify between the three different kinds of desserts.
While they all use some kind of baked pastry on top, today what we’re making is considered a crip because we’re using oats in our topping!
Here’s the breakdown on the three desserts:
Cobbler – fruit topped with some kind of buscuit like topping
Crumble – fruti topped with a flour, sugar, butter mix
Crisp – fruit topped with a flour, sugar, butter mix, with oats
So now that we’ve clarified the difference between the three, let’s get to baking this delicious gluten free berry crisp!
A 3 Step Gluten Free Berry Crisp
- Rinse, drain, and mix your berries with some sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch
- Mix your oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Layer 2/3 of your mixture and par-bake
- Layer with berries and remaining oat mixture. Bake and enjoy with a scoop (or 3) of vanilla ice cream!
This recipe does not contain the following allergens (read more about this on my disclosure page):
Click on the Allergen Icons above to find more allergy friendly recipes like this one.Print
Gluten Free Berry Crisp
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
For the Oat Mix:
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 2 1/2 cups gf flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
For the Berry Mix:
- 1 cup blueberries (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup raspberries (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup marionberries (rinsed and drained)
- ½ lemon juiced
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch
Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the oat mixture. Press 2/3 of the mixture into a baking sheet (I use a 9×11) and pack it down to form a crust. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the berry mix. Pour this mixture over the oat crust and top with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool and set for at least 30 minutes before serving with vanilla ice cream!
You can use any combination of berries for this recipe. If you want to use all blueberries, all raspberries, or even blackberries, go for it!
Keywords: gluten free berry crisp