These gluten free poppy seed muffins make the perfect grab and go breakfast, snack, or dessert!
This post contains affiliate links; this means if you purchase an item linked, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to learn more about my disclosure policy.
Describe the Food / Why It’s Great
If you’ve ever made a trip (or 100) to Costco, you know about the muffins.
They come in packs of 12 gigantic muffins that are basically 4 normal sized muffins in one. The flavors rarely change but never disappoint with combination packs with either pumpkin, maple, blueberry, or poppy seed muffins.
My parents only bought the muffins on special occasions; over the holidays, for parties at our house or when family came to visit. I would wake up at the crack of dawn, sneak downstairs and enjoy half with a big glass of milk.
Now, when I crave something sweet, I make these gluten free poppy seed muffins!
Finding a Key Ingredient: Poppy Seeds
When I first started recipe testing for these, I assumed the process would go as smoothly as any other muffin recipe.
Hunting down poppy seeds proved to be more challenging than expected and after what felt like 10 trips to different grocery stores, I threw in the towel and headed online.
I finally caved and bought these poppy seeds by Bob’s Red Mill (one of my favorite brands) on Amazon.
Side Note: If you know a store where I can find these, let me know in the comment section below!
Other Killer Muffin Recipes
Before you commit to just one muffin recipe, allow me to encourage you to live your best Costco loving life and try 2 more of my all time, favorite muffin recipes:
Click on the Allergen Icons below to find more allergy friendly recipes like this one.
This recipe does not contain the following allergens (read more about this on my disclosure page):
Gluten Free Poppy Seed Muffins
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
For the Muffins:
- 3 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2/3 vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup greek yogurt (honey or plain)
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
For the Glaze:
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp oat milk
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and grease your muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, poppy seeds) with your sugar. Mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, combine wet ingredients (oil, eggs, yogurt) and mix well. Fold the wet ingredients into the larger bowl with the dry ingredients. Fill the muffin tins 3/4 way. Sprinkle with raw sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Make the glaze. Whisk oat milk and powdered sugar together. Once muffins have cooled for at least 20 minutes, pour the glaze over muffins and sprinkle with poppy seeds and lemon zest. Enjoy!
Keywords: gluten free poppy seed muffins