This avocado smoothie is made with fresh avocado, plant based milk and honey for a super creamy and naturally sweet treat.
This post may contain affiliate links; this means if you purchase an item linked, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to learn more about my disclosure policy.
The neutral avocado flavor adapts to whatever plant based milk you desire and enhanced with a teaspoon of honey making it an incredibly delicious drink with the best texture ever.
While this drink is super refreshing any time of the year, it is traditionally enjoyed in Morocco during the month of Ramadan to break the fast with this traditional soup, Harira.
Here's what you'll need to make the avocado smoothie:
- ripe avocado
- plant based milk (I like oat or almond)
See recipe card for quantities.
Tips on Picking the Right Avocado
It's 2022 so I'm assuming we are all very familiar with avocados. That said, it's important to use a ripe - but not too ripe - avocado for this recipe, so here are some tips on picking the right one:
- we're looking for an avocado with some give, but it shouldn't be too soft or mushy
- if you've got avocados at home that are too firm, leave them on the countertop for a few days to ripen up
- if your avocados are just right and you want to slow them from ripening any further, keep them submerged in a bowl of water in the fridge
How to Make It
Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit and scoop out the flesh. Add to a blender with milk and honey.
Blend with a few pieces of ice until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!
Optional Add Ins
Because this recipe is quite simple, it's easy to customize. Here are some ideas for add ins or substitutes:
- Banana - the creamy sweet flavor from a banana pairs really well with this smoothie
- Berries - throw in a handful of blueberries, raspberries, or whatever kind of berry you like
- Alternative milk - have fun and use whatever kind of milk you like and have on hand
All you need to make this recipe at home is a good quality blender.
If you like your smoothies super cold, make sure you have some ice in your freezer as well.
This smoothie is best enjoyed the day of.
That said, if you have some ripe avocados on hand, scoop out the flesh and store it in the fridge to use for future smoothies!
A frozen avocado works amazingly in this recipe.