4 Ingredient Matcha Lattes without a Whisk
Learn how to make your own coffee shop quality 4 ingredient matcha lattes with no fancy matcha whisk needed!
This post contains affiliate links; this means if you purchase an item linked, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to learn more about my disclosure policy.
Matcha: the trendiest drink on the menu
It’s no secret that matcha has been trending for years now in coffee shops around the globe. Originating in Japan and China, it’s popularity has trickled into bakeries, bars, and supermarkets everywhere. I’ve seen bubbly matcha infused cocktails, matcha glazed donuts, and even matcha flavored KitKats!
You can check out this list made by my good friend and food blogger, Candice, of her 18 most popular matcha dessert recipes.
While I’m definitely late to the #matchaparty, I’m coming in hot with these super simple, 4 ingredient matcha lattes. Plus, I’m sharing a trick that makes them accessible to everyone! No fancy tools needed. Keep reading to find out my ultimate matcha hack.
The Ultimate Matcha Hack
If you’ve ever watched a barista craft a matcha based beverage, you’ve probably noticed the use of a delicate wooden whisk.
These whisks (also called a Chasen) are made of bamboo and designed to break up any clumps of the green tea, creating a silky smooth texture.
It’s pretty magical watching the process, but a $20 whisk just wasn’t in the market for me. There had to be an easier way!
And there is. If you’re open to using a natural sweetener (honey or maple syrup) in your 4 ingredient matcha lattes, this hack is the one for you. My friend Gaelin shared this trick with me and I’ve been using it ever since.
It goes as follows:
- Combine your natural sweetener (I almost always use honey) with your matcha powder.
- Using a spoon, mix the 2 ingredients well until a silky, shiny paste is formed. This step breaks down all the clumps and results in the smoothest cup of matcha, sans whisk!
- Add hot/warm water and mix well. From here you can add cream/non dairy milk of choice and serve over ice (optional).
4 Simple Ingredients
The best recipes in life are the kind with 5 ingredients or less. These 4 ingredient matcha lattes are no exception. Today we’re using Mizuba Matcha powder, local honey, water, and my go-to dairy free milk.
To ensure this recipe is AIP compliant, I’m using coconut milk in my matcha today. You can use any milk you like depending on your dietary habits.
To learn more about this whole AIP thing I’m trying for the month of January, rewind a few posts back to my AIP Sweet Potato Chips.
Creating that delicious frothy latte cream with dairy free milk is as easy as 1, 2, 3 thanks to my favorite Ovente frother. It’s the final step that really pushes these lattes into coffee shop quality.
You can check out 3 of my favorite milk alternatives to froth and add to matcha here.
Comment below to let me know how the whisk free hack worked in your kitchen!
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup creamer of choice (I’m using oat milk)
- In your glass combine the matcha powder and honey. Mix well until a smooth, silky, shiny paste is formed. Pour warm water over the matcha and mix well.
- Froth your creamer (optional, but highly recommended) and add to your glass. Serve over ice if desired. Enjoy!
Keywords: 4 Ingredient Matcha Lattes, Matcha Lattes