Kefta = The World’s Juiciest + Easiest MeatballsIf you’ve ever made meatballs before, you know it’s actually pretty easy, regardless of what kind. But these Moroccan Kefta meatballs are truly the most deliciously simple bites. In Morocco, this blend of herbs and spices is traditionally used to make their version of a hamburger. A little cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, ginger, garlic. A bit of parsley and cilantro. Red onion and olive oil. And a bit of a modern flair never hurt no one, so we’re adding a tablespoon of parmesan cheese, totally optional. Check out those juicy balls!
Let’s Talk Rice & ToppingsIn this particular recipe, I opted to use fresh tomatoes and my favorite recipe for Golden Rice. You can find the secret ingredient that gives this rice it’s glowing yellow color here. That said, you can use pretty much anything you like to fill these babies. Other options I love:
- Plain white or brown rice
- Fluffy quinoa
- Forget the grains and add roasted veggies instead
- Rice noodles of some sort
- Crunchy bean sprouts (we have totally strayed from the Moroccan path here and that’s ok)
Allergen TagsClick on the Allergen Icons below to find more allergy friendly recipes like this one! This recipe does not contain the following allergens: Print
Moroccan Kefta Lettuce Wraps with a Spicy Yogurt Sauce
These Moroccan Kefta Lettuce Wraps are the perfect combination of spicy meatballs, sweet rice and a harissa yogurt sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 16-25 meatballs 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Moroccan
For the Kefta Meatballs:
- 1 lb ground beef or lamb
- 1/2 red onion, minced finely
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
For the Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tsp harissa sauce
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 cup Golden Rice or whatever kind of rice/grain you like!
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- additional cilantro to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl combine all ingredients for your meatballs and mix well.
- Round into 1 inch balls and set on a parchment lined baking sheet, with an inch of space between each. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until cooked through (this will depend on the protein you use, cut one open to make sure there isn’t any pink left in the meat).
- To make the Yogurt Harissa sauce, simply mix the two ingredients together.
- Assemble the lettuce wraps: place a piece of butter lettuce down, fill with rice, kefta, top with tomatoes, cilantro and the yogurt sauce.
Keywords: Moroccan Kefta Lettuce Wraps, Kefta