Looking for a delicious and fool-proof summer dessert? Look no further than these ridiculously tasty gluten free blackberry crumb bars!
This post contains affiliate links; this means if you purchase an item linked, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to learn more about my disclosure policy.
The perfect summer dessert
One of my favorite memories from summers growing up in Olympia, Washington is biking around town to pick blackberries.
In the Pacific Northwest, blackberries are weeds. Sometimes welcomed with open arms, but weeds nonetheless.
They grew everywhere and anywhere; their thick and thorny vines took over just about any vacant lot in town during the summer months.
I would bike all over town with friends, tupperware in hands, skin tanned from the summer sun, berries in our mouths. If I had enough left, my mom would bake something delicious with them when I got home.
Every summer I'm reminded of that sweet memory when blackberries ripen and come into season.
This year, I'm taking advantage of these "weeds" and making the most delicious blackberry crumb bars.
Gluten free baking made easy
If you've ever made one of my gluten free recipes, you've likely heard of these special ingredients, and have the green light to keep on scrolling!
For those who are new, I have a few staple ingredients that make gluten free baking a breeze:
- gluten free oats - these oats are a staple for cookie baking, breakfast making, and so much more in our home!
- gluten free flour - you definitely don't need to buy it in bulk, but I have never had "too much flour" so it's up to you!
Vegan/dairy free modification
Love the idea of these blackberry crumb bars but not eating dairy? No problemo!
You can easily make these babies vegan by swapping out the butter for 100% coconut oil.
I've tried it and the result is just as tasty 🙂
Gluten Free Blackberry Crumb Bars
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 9 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Bars
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the Crumb Layers:
- 2 cup gluten free oats
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter (melted)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
For the Blackberry Layer:
- 4 cups blackberries (rinsed and drained)
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- Preheat your oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the crumb layers. Press ½ of the mixture into your baking dish (I used a 9x11). Pack it down to form the crust.
- In a medium sized mixing saucepan, combine all ingredients for the berry layer. Mix well and simmer on low for 10 minutes until a smooth syrup begins to form around the berries. Pour this mixture over the oat crust and top with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Allow the bars to fully cool and harden before cutting into 12 bars and serving. Serving with vanilla ice cream optional but highly encouraged!
Keywords: gluten free blackberry crumb bars, blackberry crumb bars
Leave a comment & rate this recipe