This vegan gluten free orange cauliflower is the perfect play on orange chicken; it’s allergy friendly, full of flavor, and ready on a weeknight in under 30 minutes.
This post contains affiliate links; this means if you purchase an item linked, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to learn more about my disclosure policy.
Asian Inspired Orange Cauliflower
This Asian inspired Orange Cauliflower is a weeknight staple in our household. Made with fresh, simple ingredients like garlic, scallions, and ginger, it’s easy to come home after a long day and throw together.
The cauliflower florets are tossed in a mix of coconut aminos and rice vinegar, then coated with corn starch and gluten free flour, and finally baked in the oven to minimize grease.
Tossed in a sweet and sour sauce made with freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh ginger and garlic, it’s sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
Serve over white, brown or even more cauliflower rice if you’re cauliflower obsessed like me!
All Star Ingredients
There are a few key ingredients that help to make this dish vegan, gluten free, dairy free and top 8 free! I’ve linked a few of them below for you to check out:
- Coconut Aminos – this ingredient is a game changer for people with soy and/or gluten allergies. It is a delicious take on soy sauce with a natural hint of sweetness from the coconut. If you’re not allergic, feel free to use soy sauce.
- Gluten Free Flour – if you’re not gluten free, you’re welcome to use whatever flour you like, of course. For those with gluten intolerances or allergies, this gf flour by Bob’s Red Mill is a life saver. I’ve been making this dish for years, long before I learned about my wheat allergy, but this flour made the switch seamless.
- Cauliflower – ok, this ingredient needs no introduction and can be found at any grocery store, but it’s the magical one that makes this dish vegan! I’ve tried this dish before with romanesco, purple and yellow cauliflower and it worked phenomenally.
- Orange Juice – so I have most definitely made this dish with store bought orange juice (and it was still tasty), but there is something about using freshly squeezed oranges that takes the sauce to the next level. But don’t take my word for it, try it yourself!
Before We Get Started…
Click on the Allergen Icons below to find more allergy friendly recipes like this one!
This recipe does not contain the following allergens:Print
This orange cauliflower is the perfect play on orange chicken; it’s vegan, delicious and easy to make.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Vegan
For the Cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour (normal flour works too!)
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (soy sauce works too!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the Sauce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 minced jalapeno
- 4 green onions diced
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos (soy sauce works too!)
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup orange juice (bonus points if it’s freshly squeezed)
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- White rice (as desired)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large ziplock bag combine corn starch, coconut aminos or soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Mix well. Add cauliflower florets, seal bag and toss to coat. Add flour, seal bag and toss to coat again.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil. Add cauliflower and spread out on baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until browned, flipping them to brown evenly at the half-way mark.
- In a wok over medium high heat add garlic, ginger, jalapeño and remaining olive oil. Sauté until fragrant. Toss in half of the green onions. Add orange juice, remaining 3 tbsp soy sauce and 3 tbsp rice wine, brown sugar, orange zest and corn starch to a mixing bowl and stir well. Pour into the wok. Reduce by half. Add in cauliflower and mix to coat.
- Serve over brown or white rice and garnish with orange slices and remaining green onions!
vegan, dairy free, vegetarian
Keywords: orange cauliflower
Don’t Forget to Pin it For Later!