Learn how to make your own evaporated milk with just one ingredient and a few easy steps. This recipe is easy to make using any kind of traditional milk or vegan alternatives and comes together in less than 30 minutes. It’s a useful ingredient to use as a thickener and sweetener in baked goods, savory dishes and more!
- 2 cups whole milk (or your favorite plant based milk)
- Reduce milk. Add milk to a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer before reducing to low and simmering for about 30 minutes. Mix occasionally. You will know it’s done when it has reduced by about half and develops a rich beige color.
- Store. Strain through cheesecloth or a mesh strainer to remove any solids. Cool and store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 5 days.
The ratio goes as follows: you will need to start with twice the amount of milk to make the appropriate amount of evaporated milk.
In other words:
- if you need 1 cup of evaporated milk, start with 2 cups of milk
- if you need 2 cups of evaporated milk, start with 4 cups of milk
- if you need 3 cups of evaporated milk, start with 6 cups of milk, and so on