Spring Roll Bowls
It’s weekly meal prep time and today we’re cooking up some sweet and spicy spring roll bowls. Loaded with roasted chicken, fresh veggies, and a “peanut” sauce, they will have you bragging about your lunch all week.
This post contains affiliate links; this means if you purchase an item linked, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to learn more about my disclosure policy.
Like Spring Rolls… but in a bowl!
If you’ve ever had spring rolls before you know they are essentially a salad in a lovely wrapped piece of rice paper. I used to go to a Vietnamese restaurant in my hometown once a week and get these with their spicy peanut sauce all the time!
I am still just as obsessed with them, and would totally eat a pack of them for lunch on the regular, but sometimes it’s just easier to throw everything in a bowl, ya know?
The Weekly Meal Prep Series Continues
This is one of my favorite kind of meal prep recipes because you can really take it in any direction you like.
The ingredients in a standard spring roll are pretty versatile: a variety of bright, crunchy, raw veggies, some kind of lightly seasoned protein (chicken, shrimp, or tofu work well), and a killer sauce, typically plum or peanut sauce.
Peanut Free “Peanut” Sauce
Peanut sauce used to be my go-to sauce of choice, until I found out about my peanut allergy (womp, womp.) But I really love peanut sauce and (if you know me, you know this) I don’t give up easily, so here I am, a very experienced peanut free “peanut” sauce maker.
I’ve tried making it with nearly every kind of seed and nut butter imaginable. Cashew butter, almond butter, and hazelnut butter. But the creamiest, most seamless substitute for creamy peanut butter?
Sunflower seed butter. Yep, this peanut and nut free seed butter is my all time favorite swap for these Spring Roll Bowls.
In fact, I actually made my peanut free “peanut” sauce recipe with both sunflower seed butter and normal peanut butter to compare the texture and taste (thank god for my allergy free fiancé), and the results were surprising.
He, who usually hates sunflower seed butter, preferred the peanut free sauce! All this to say, use whatever nut or seed butter you like. You may need to adjust the amount of water in your sauce, depending on the thickness, but they are all delicious when paired with these spring roll bowls.
Click on the Allergen Icons below to find more allergy friendly recipes like this one! This recipe does not contain the following allergens:
Weekly Meal Prep: Spring Roll Bowls
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Meal Prep
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Meal Prep
For the Chicken:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/4 tbsp pepper
For the Bowls:
- 2 cups cooked rice of your choice (I used white)
- 2–3 radishes, sliced thinly
- 4 small carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 cup of shredded cabbage
- a handful of bean sprouts
- 1 cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1 jalapeno, sliced thinly
- a handful of cilantro for garnish
- nut free “peanut” sauce (see note for recipe)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a cast iron pan, heat your olive oil to medium high heat. While your oil is heating, coat your chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Sear on each side for 7-10 minutes, or until they flip easily without sticking. Throw in the oven for 20-25 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken.
- In your meal prep containers or bowls add some of the rice, a bit of each of the veggies, a small handful of the bean sprouts, a few springs of cilantro and a spoonful of “peanut” sauce. Top with slices of the chicken.
To make a quick peanut/tree nut free “peanut” sauce, combine the following ingredients in a mason jar and shake well to combine:
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp sriracha or chili paste
- the juice of 1 lime
Keywords: Spring Roll Bowls, Spring Roll Bowl Meal Prep
Pin It for Later
Want to try this recipe later? Pin it so you don’t forget!