Shrimp Pad Thai
This peanut free pad thai has all the flavor, crunch and creaminess you would get in the traditional Thai dish, but everyone can enjoy it! Also. This dish can come together in under 30 minutes. That’s right, pad thai is possible on a weeknight! An extremely dangerous revelation for me, as I’ve had it three times in the last week. The shrimp is totally optional if you want to swap it out for chicken, beef or even tofu.
Why Peanut Free?
For the longest time, I thought my peanut allergy meant I could never have pad thai again. Then I found sunflower seed butter and everything changed.
Sunflower seed butter is made of sunflower seeds (shocker) and has the same creamy texture and nutty flavor as peanut butter. It’s perfect as a substitute in peanut butter sandwiches, peanut butter cups, this recipe and basically anything you would use peanut butter in.
I used cashews as a substitute for peanuts in my peanut free pad thai, but if you want to make it completely nut free you could substitute the cashews for: -crispy bacon pieces -toasted sunflower seeds -crunchy fried chow mein noodles
Or just get creative and use your favorite crunchy topping!
Before We Get Started…
Click on the Allergen Icons below to find more allergy friendly recipes like this one! This recipe does not contain the following allergens:
Peanut Free Pad Thai with Shrimp
This peanut free pad thai has all the flavor, crunch and creaminess you would get in a traditional pad thai, but everyone can enjoy it!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 servings
- Category: Thai Food
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Thai
-8 cups water
-14 oz rice noodles
-3 tbsp butter
-1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
-1/2 cup chopped cashews
-1/4 cup green onions, minced
-1 red chili pepper
-1/4 cup fish sauce
-1/4 cup rice vinegar
-3 tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
-2 tbsp sunflower seed butter
-1/4 cup brown sugar
- In a medium sized pot, bring water to a boil. Add rice noodles and remove from heat. Let cook 8 minutes or as instructed on packaging.
- While waiting for the water to boil, chop up your green onions, red chili pepper, and cashews.
- In a large pan or wok melt half the butter, beat and cook the eggs omelette style. Cut into small pieces and set aside. Melt the remaining butter in the wok again and cook the shrimp on both sides until pink. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the fish sauce, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, sunflower seed butter and brown sugar.
- In the wok, melt the last tbsp of butter with half of the green onions and the minced chili pepper. Add in the rice noodles, shrimp, eggs and sauce. Mix together with tongs and garnish with remaining green onions.
Keywords: Pad Thai, Peanut Free, Peanut Free Pad Thai, Shrimp Pad Thai