Week 3 of the Meal Prep Series is finally here and couldn’t be better than this Spanish Rice & Beans with Chicken recipe.
This post contains affiliate links; this means if you purchase an item linked, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to learn more about my disclosure policy.
The Meal Prep Series Lives On!
Remember when I said I was going to post a new meal prep recipe every week?
No shame here; my goal in writing this series is to provide the highest quality recipes I can and if that means taking a few weeks to fine tune recipes I am happy to do that.
I hope no one out there minds but if you’re going to be eating these spanish rice bowls for several days in a row they have to be delicious!
Part of that means taking a few weeks to test out the rice cook time. Another large chunk of that time was spent finding the perfect sauce to top it all off.
I can confidently say this cilantro garlic sauce was worth every minute.
The Instant Pot
If you follow salimaskitchen on Instagram you know I’ve been borderline obsessed with my newest kitchen toy, the Instant Pot.
While I don’t have an ACTUAL Instant Pot, I was gifted a beautiful pressure cooker/all purpose cooking gadget (find it here) that does all of the things that the Instant Pot does.
Chances are, you have something similar in your kitchen. You may have a pressure cooker, crock pot or maybe just a big pot with a lid? All of these will work for making this Spanish rice with chicken & beans in under 30 minutes.
Spanish Rice Allergen Tags
Click on the Allergen Icons below to find more allergy friendly recipes like this Instant Pot Spanish Rice.
This recipe does not contain the following allergens (read more about this on my disclosure page):
Weekly Meal Prep #3: Spanish Rice & Beans with Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- Category: meal prep
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: spanish
For the Rice & Chicken:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 6 chicken thighs
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 cups salsa of choice
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans
For the Cilantro Sauce
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 anchovy (optional)
- 5 cloves garlic
- the juice of 3 limes
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- salt to taste
- Season your chicken with the salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne. Saute in the instant pot with the olive oil just until the chicken begins to brown. Add in diced onion and bell peppers. Keep the instant pot on Sauté mode and cook until onions are translucent. Add salsa, rice and water and mix well. Close your instant pot and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- While the instant pot is working its magic, add all ingredients for the cilantro sauce to a small bowl and blend with an immersion blender.
- Release pressure from the instant pot and mix in the drained can of black beans. Place rice & chicken mix into glassware and top with cilantro sauce. Garnish with slices of avocado and hot sauce before eating and enjoy!
Keywords: instant pot spanish rice, spanish rice and beans
Pin This Spanish Rice Recipe for Later!
Check out more of the weekly Meal Prep Series below: