Instant Pot Butter ChickenOne of my goals for this winter was to build up the archives for Instant Pot meals on the blog. In case you haven’t heard, the Instant Pot is a pressure cooking/slow cooking/every kind of cooking tool that is all the rage and can be a great addition to your kitchen. Especially when making recipes like this butter chicken that usually can take anywhere from 3 hours to a day! Spoiler alert: mine isn’t even a real Instant Pot. It’s an off brand one I was given as a gift, and it works perfectly. Click here to check out my pressure cooking system on Amazon. This 30 minute dish was a no brainer recipe to write because I have always had a true obsession for Butter Chicken. If given the choice, I would eat it for dinner most nights. The only problem? It’s a labor of love after a long day of work; emphasis on the labor part. Enter the fastest Butter Chicken recipe ever made in an Instant Pot! Served over warm rice with some fresh parsley? This is a crowd pleaser, weeknight, weekend, anytime kinda meal.
Let’s Be Picky with Our Short CutsLet’s be picky with our short cuts here. I know, some may say that using an Instant Pot to make a traditional Indian dish is blasphemy. And to them I say, I respectfully disagree. In this recipe we are using the Instant Pot to speed up the process of this traditionally slowly simmered dish, but in no way are we cutting corners on quality. Be picky by using high quality, organic ingredients, fresh herbs, and freshly ground spices in your kitchen. Treat yo’ self. Just don’t slave away for hours when you don’t have the time!
Pressure Cooking OptionIf you don’t have an Instant Pot, this recipe can also be made in a pressure cooker. Follow the same cook time and instructions, but make sure to allow your pressure cooker to build up pressure before starting the 6 minute timer for the chicken.
Allergen TagsClick on the Allergen Icons below to find more allergy friendly recipes like this one! This recipe does not contain the following allergens: Print
Instant Pot Butter Chicken
You won’t believe how easy this Instant Pot Butter Chicken recipe is; it’s truly the perfect weeknight meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
- 1 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups tomato puree (crushed tomatoes work too)
- 1 cup coconut cream or heavy cream
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- Parsley to garnish
- Basmati rice (optional)
- In the instant pot on sauté mode, combine olive oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté until the onion begins to turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Toss in the chicken and spices and sauté for 3 minutes. Add in the tomato puree and water and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the instant pot and turn on the chicken setting for 6 minutes. Make sure to let the instant pot release on it’s own, do not use the quick release setting.
- Uncover, stir in the cream, brown sugar and butter and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over Basmati rice and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
Keywords: butter chicken, instant pot butter chicken