Everyone’s Favorite Pasta: Bolognese Sauce
Okay, maybe it’s just me, but this classic bolognese sauce has and will always be my absolute favorite way to enjoy pasta. It’s loaded with grass fed ground beef, organic crushed tomatoes, and Italian seasonings.
Funny story about this bolognese sauce, it was actually the first dish I learned how to make. I was in middle school when my mom sat my brother and me down and told us our newest chore would be picking a meal to cook (with her help, of course) for dinner once a week.
Of course, my go-to meal was pasta; so she took me grocery shopping and taught me the family recipe. And I’ve been using it for pasta, ravioli, lasagnas, and even zucchini noodles ever since. Now, I couldn’t be more happy to be able to share this bolognese sauce with you!
I have adapted this recipe to be gluten free by adding in my favorite gluten free pasta:
Feel free to use your favorite pasta and make this recipe your own!
Before We Get Started…
Click on the Allergen Icons below to find more allergy friendly recipes like this one!
This recipe does not contain the following allergens:Print
Classic Bolognese Sauce with Gluten Free Pasta
This classic bolognese sauce has always been my absolute favorite way to enjoy pasta. It’s loaded with ground beef, crushed tomatoes and Italian seasonings.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 3 tsp fresh oregano (dried works too)
- 3 tsp fresh basil (dried works too)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (dried works too)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup water
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion and olive oil over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add in ground beef and garlic and cook on medium high heat, mixing regularly, until meat is browned and cooked through.
- Add crushed tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar, water and herbs. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Enjoy with zucchini noodles, pasta, ravioli, or lasagna, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water to mix with and thin out the bolognese sauce!
Keywords: bolognese sauce, red pasta sauce
Pin It For Later!
Want to try this recipe later? Pin an image below so you don’t forget it!