Ever feel like enjoying a tasty home cooked meal without the hassle? These banh mi hot dogs have all the flavor of the classic Vietnamese sandwiches, without any of the time consuming steps.
This post contains affiliate links; this means if you purchase an item linked, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to learn more about my disclosure policy.
If you’ve ever had the pleasure of trying an authentically made banh mi, you know just how far from ordinary these sandwiches are. Loaded with marinated meat, sweet pickled veggies, fresh herbs, and a spicy sauce, they are sure to satisfy any savory craving.
Stress Free Banh Mi
While these gluten free banh mi hot dogs are not authentic, they hit all of my favorite elements of the classic.
Quick pickled carrot, cucumber, daikon, and jalapeños are your best friend in this recipe. They add that sweet and sour crunch that compliments any protein so well.
The sauce that brings it altogether is a simple mix of sriracha and mayo. The world’s easiest spicy mayo!
And if you’ve ever grilled hot dogs before, you know the rest is smooth sailing.
Gluten Free Buns!
Today I’m using these gluten free buns that my mother in law gave me to try out. Considering I left them in my freezer for months before thawing and toasting over the grill, I am very happy with the result.
They warmed up well, with golden brown edges and a soft fluffy interior.
Looking for more excuses to grill before winter officially makes it’s entrance? These banh mi hot dogs are the perfect launching point! Here are some of my other favorite grilling recipes:
Click on the Allergen Icons below to find more allergy friendly recipes like this one.
This recipe does not contain the following allergens (read more about this on my disclosure page):
Banh Mi Hot Dogs
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 3–4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/3 sugar
- 1 pack sausages or hot dogs (I used beef)
- 1/2 daikon
- 1 carrot
- 1 cucumber
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine both vinegars, water, salt, and sugar. Slice the carrot and daikon into thin matchstick slices and add to the pickling liquid. Slice the cucumber and jalapeno and add it to the liquid as well. Allow this to sit for at least an hour while you prep your other ingredients.
- Grill the sausages or hot dogs as directed on the packaging. I used my outdoor grill and fully cooked dogs, so I just grilled until I achieved the browning and grill marks I wanted. You can warm up the buns on your grill or in a conventional oven.
- Mix together the sriracha and mayo. Spread generously on the hot dog buns. Place the hot dog in the buns. Top with pickled veggies, cilantro, and cabbage.
Quick pickling liquid recipe modified by Traci Antonovich’s Quick Pickled Carrots and Daikon
Keywords: banh mi hot dogs