Pouring Gluten Free Gravy Over EverythingWhat better way to celebrate my 26th birthday than with a killer gluten free gravy recipe? This is no average gluten free gravy either, it’s made with bacon and freshly grated nutmeg. It’s perfect for drizzling all over your mashed potatoes, turkey, ham, stuffing and wherever else you like your gravy; I’m not judging!
This Thanksgiving’s MVP: Gluten Free FlourIt’s been a little over a year since I found out about my wheat allergy. It has been a year full of eye opening realizations about the food I eat, and I’m still learning every day. That said, one product in particular has changed my gluten free journey in a major way. If you’re a regular on the blog, you’ve probably heard me mention it more than once. Gluten free flour has been a game changer in that I can make any recipe, substituting traditional wheat flour for GF flour and 90% of the time, I have successful results. This gluten free gravy is no exception. I’ve heard other gluten free / wheat free bloggers swear by a few different brands but my favorite is Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour. Click here to check it out on Amazon. I’ve used it in recipes as complex as homemade pie and pasta dough and as simple as this gravy.
Secret IngredientThe cool thing about this gluten free gravy is, you don’t need a holiday to enjoy it. Looking for an easy sauce to use with meat? Gluten Free Gravy. Made too many biscuits? Serve them with this gluten free gravy. Wondering what to do with cheese curds? Make some poutine with fries, cheese and, you guessed it, gravy. There are two secret ingredients that give this gluten free gravy an added layer of sweet and savory. And I’m going to let you in on my secret because it’s my birthday and I’m in a giving mood. There is something about the combo of freshly grated nutmeg and bacon that elevates any Fall recipe. They go well in baked goods, cheese sauces and meaty gravy; so all of the most delicious things are better with nutmeg + bacon! Other Ideas:
- If you happen to have fresh stock or drippings from a Turkey hanging around your kitchen, USE THEM!
- Vegetarian or just “not a bacon person” (HOW?)? You could leave the bacon out and use browned butter as your base instead
- Swap the bacon for mushrooms, sausage or get real festive and use chestnuts
- Use normal flour if you’re not gluten/wheat free
Before We Get Started…Click on the Allergen Icons below to find more allergy friendly recipes like this one! This recipe does not contain the following allergens: Print
This gluten free gravy is made with bacon & freshly grated nutmeg; it’s perfect for drizzling over mashed potatoes, turkey, ham, stuffing, you name it!
- 5 strips of bacon, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup bacon grease, reserved from cooking the bacon
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour (normal flour works too)
- 4 cups turkey, chicken or veggie stock
- 2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tsp cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, fry the bacon bits until browned. Sprinkle in the flour, and whisk to combine with bacon grease and bits. Continue to cook and whisk for 1-2 minutes or until flour begins to brown.
- Slowly pour in stock, continuing to whisk. Grate in nutmeg. Add cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk to combine.
- Serve over whatever you like!
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free gravy, thanksgiving gravy, bacon gravy