Funeral Potatoes with a Twist
These Party Potatoes with Bacon are 100% inspired by my dear friend Connie McDowell. Originally called Funeral Potatoes, Connie gave this classic Midwestern casserole a much needed rebranding. These creamy potatoes combine all my favorite indulgent ingredients: potatoes, bacon and cheese. So go ahead, make these and indulge a little; you deserve it!
Everything is Better with Bacon
Ever since I met Connie three years ago I’ve been noticing that Party Potatoes pop up at almost every event we see each other at. And it’s not because they are Connie’s favorite, she just gets asked to make them ALL THE TIME. Seriously, people can’t get enough of these; for good reason, they are basically the potato form of crack. The first time I tried to recreate her recipe, I ate the entire pan. 4,000+ calories and a massive stomach ache later, I decided the only thing that could make these already addictive potatoes better was bacon. So yeah… I went there. I just happened to have a tray of already cooked bacon at my house (as one does) and I went there.
Party Potatoes are Perfect for Parties… DUH!
If my tragic episode of eating an entire pan of potatoes and then making another topped with bacon taught me anything… it’s that party potatoes are meant for parties. Not just as an avoidance mechanism in not eating the entire tray yourself, but also because they are EXTREMELY easy to make. Basically, you will cook up some onions and garlic in a frying pan (easy enough, right?) then you will combine all of the remaining ingredients in a massive bowl, pour them into your baking dish, sprinkle some bacon on for good measure and done! This dish is affordable, easy to make last minute and unreasonably tasty.
Before We Get Started…
Click on the tags below to find more allergy friendly recipes like this one!
This recipe does not contain the following allergens:
This classic Midwestern dish combines all of my favorite indulgent ingredients: potatoes, bacon, cheese and cream. Tough to beat!
- 4 cups frozen hashbrowns
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup bacon, fully cooked and chopped into pieces
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tbsp cracked pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 350. In a frying pan, combine 2 tbsp butter and onion. Sauté until translucent. Add in garlic and sauté one more minute. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine hash browns, cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese, melted salted butter, onion and garlic mix, sour cream and HALF of the bacon. Mix well. Season with pepper.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and pour potato mixture into it. Top with remaining bacon. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
This recipe is inspired by Connie McDowell. Connie is a wonderful family friend who has taught me so many important lessons about cooking and entertaining.
Keywords: party potatoes, bacon, potluck recipe
Check out some more of Salima’s Kitchen gluten free recipes:
For recipe videos from Salima’s Kitchen visit my Youtube page!